Monday 23 March 2009

Make Mine A Double


For the past god knows how many weeks I haven't had much time or emotion to give out. I have been cold and withholding and I am sorry. It's just that I've had to save my love. Save everything I have for sunday nights. Save it all for the Ikki Twins. For MTV's A Double Shot of Love.

Double Shot is one of the type of crass reality TV shows that MTV is famous for TAKEN TO THE EXTREME! 12 hot lesbians and 12 buff guys competing for the love of a pair of bisexual twins. I of course use the words 'hot' and 'buff' in the loosest of terms, it was actually very slim pickings for the sexy (and kind of skanky) twins. Each week there were crazy challenges to win dates with the twins (Of course being able to stand in the sun on one leg covered in a sticky liquid and licking icing off a statue are really sensible way to find your true love) and at the end of the show they would eliminate those who had failed to prove worthy of their love. There was fighting and back stabbing and plenty of people who seemed to just want to be on TV no matter how much humiliation they would have to endure to do so. There was even a guy who decided that he would try and nail one of the lesbians instead of the twins. Last night it all came to an end in a STUNNING finale. I won't ruin it for you but it certainly made for a satisfying two and a half hours (Yes, really) of television.

It's easy to be cynical about these sort of things. I have to admit at times even I was doubtful of the worthiness of the experiment. But being bitter and cynical is the easy choice and if Love Actually taught us anything it's that love is a crazy ass motherfucking thing. Maybe a series of increasingly confusing and wacky challenges intercut with a whole lot of making out is the way to find the 'one'? Maybe this show presents everyone's struggle to find love just in a compressed microcosm? Maybe the people the twins found on this show are the ones they're going to spend the rest of their lives with? I'd sure like to think so.

Be good to each other.

Peace

Steve

No comments: